The Library Patron Policy outlines the acceptable and unacceptable behavior in the library. Any Patron not abiding by these or other rules may be required to leave the library premises. The Patron policy is posted around the bilding and reads as follows:
To allow all patrons of the Mendham Township Library to use its facitlities to the fullest extent during regularly scheduled hours, the Library Board of Trustees has adopted the following rules and regulations:
- Engage in activities associated with the use of a public library. Patrons not reading, studying, attending a program or using library materials may be required to leave the building.
- Respect the rights of other patrons and library staff.
- Turn cell phones to vibrate or off while in the library. If necessary, patrons may speak quietly on cell phones away from other patrons.
PATRONS SHALL NOT ENGAGE IN THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES OR BEHAVIOR WHILE IN THE LIBRARY OR BE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE REMOVAL:
- Smoke or use tobacco, tobacco products or e-cigarette devices.
- Be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Engage in any illegal activity in the library building.
- Interfere with the use of the library by other patrons, or interfere with library employees' perwformance of their duties.
- Eating or drinking in the library without prior approval or authorization from library staff.
- Damaging or stealing library property
- Sitting or placing your feet on library furniture.
- Using skateboards or scooters.
- Deface or mar library materials including but not limited to books, magazines, newspapers, recordings or other items of the library collection, nor shall they deface mar or in any way destroy or damage library furnishings, walls, machines, or other library property.
- Enter the building without pants, shorts, shirt or shoes. Patrons must wear a covering of their upper and lower bodies, and shoes or other footwear.
- Have offensive bodily hygiene. Offensive bodily hygiene constitutes being a nuisance to other library patrons and is an unreasonable interference with other patrons' use and enjoyment of the library. Patrons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other persons shall be required to leave the building.
- Bring pets or animals into the library other than animals as allowed under the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or in accordance with law.
- Engage in disorderly conduct, harassing conduct or other conduct that would disrupt quiet and peaceful library environmnet. Patrons shall not harass or annoy others through noisy or boisterous activites, including but not limited to staring at another person with the intent to annoy that person, by following another person about the building with the intent to annoy that person, by playing audio equipment so that others can hear it, by singing or talking loudly to others or in monologues, or by behaving in a manner which can be reasonably expected to disturb others. Patrons shall also not cause disturbances of others to occur through emmitting sounds, odors or engaging in other conduct that would reasonably disturb other library patrons.
FINES, FEES AND OTHER CHARGES
Each patron shall be resposible for any fines, fees or other charges due in accordance with the library's standard schedules. Failure to pay these fines will result in suspension of borrowing privileges.
CHECKING OUT OF LIBRARY MATERIALS
Any materials removed from the library must be checked out on a valid library card or through other standard library procedures such as interlibrary loan.
REMOVAL OF PATRONS
Any patron not abiding by these or other rules and regulations of the library may be required to leave the library premises. Library employees may contact the Mendham Township Police if deemed advisable.
VIOLATION OF RULES AND REGULATIONS
Any patron who violates these rules and regulations may be denied the privilege of access to the library by the Library's Board of Trustees, on the recommendation of the Library Director. A patron whose privileges have been denied may have the decision reviewed by the Board of Trustees.